Sunday, April 15, 2012

Light as a feather, hard as a rock




Denim and Dress





Those that know me, know that I love all things feminine. I think dresses are the ultimate, girly, essential wardrobe pieces, because they are perfect to throw on and instantly look "fancifully" (yes, I just made up a word). Dresses = effortless instant style. One of my favorite ways to wear floral dresses is by pairing them with a bit of denim. There's something about the contrast of an ultra light, flirty, floral print dresses paired with the hard touch of denim. Adding a denim jacket, vest, or chambray shirt is the perfect way to tone down a dress (or almost any outfit that your not sure if it's gonna be too much for the event). A prime example of this was last summer when I went to a party that turned out to be a rather small, "lights on house warming" as opposed to the drunken "Jersey Shore club scene" in which I expected and wore a equally fitting dress for. Luckily I had my ever present, always popular chambray shirt tucked away in my bag. I quickly whipped it on and pretended to be going for a hipster "see thru dress meets part time artist look" and was saved decreased the embarrassment of showing up to a party completely inappropriately dressed. Okay that's enough telling on myself and revealing my awkward stories… With out further adieu, check out the rest of the post to see how I pair "denim and dress".


xoxo,


9 comments:

  1. I like this post and the denim idea. I've been stuck in a rut with my dress combos, and I always find myself wearing cardigans with my dresses. I think I'm gonna look for a cute denim vest for the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm glad this post inspired you to switch it up a bit. I actually went thrifting yesterday and picked up a denim jacket myself. Let me know if you have any request for other looks you would like me to put together!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the first look on this post! I want to expand my wardrobe. Found you on the blog hop, and now following!

    Frances
    hellofrances.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for reading and following Frances (love your name by the way ;)!! I'm going to check out your blog as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That floral dress is so pretty! I love the pastels trend set, that bag is a very cute colour.

    xo bryonysbrain.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m so excited about this season’s pastels as well, once I’m done with finals I plan on treating myself to a few items and pastels are definitely on my list ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] of “hard as a feather light as a rock” (if you have no idea what I’m talking about check out this previous post I did) by pairing a soft flirty dress with edgy combat [...]

    ReplyDelete
  8. [...] Denim Jacket: A classic denim jacket never goes out of style. We love to pair them with feminine dresses for the perfect rough meets hard look.  Try this standard one from Madewell or this basket weave [...]

    ReplyDelete
  9. […] the feel of the overall show and how she combined femininity with “rocker edge”, a look I’ve always been a fan of. The collection featured lots of leather, geometric prints, and sparkly sequence; in a color […]

    ReplyDelete